Friday, February 03, 2017

Batter up

Our crêpe meal was a success on Thursday. I made two batters: one with sarrasin (buckwheat flour) for the savory crêpes, and another with all-purpose flour for the dessert crêpes. Both batters rested in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours. Buckwheat crêpes are a specialty of Brittany and are often referred to as galettes Bretonnes.

Crêpe batters resting in the refrigerator. Buckwheat on the left, standard on the right.

I made the savory crêpes first, using the very large crêpe pan. I only made four, then put the left-over batter in the freezer for another time. I'm very good at flipping crêpes (lots of practice), but taking a photo of the flipping is a little impractical, so you'll have to use your imagination. The finished crêpes went under a towel so as not to dry out.

Butter, batter, and a crêpe in the pan.

When it was time for lunch, we lined the center of each crêpe with a slice of ham, a few sautéed mushrooms, and some grated Emmental cheese. Then we folded the four sides over the stuffing, making each round crêpe into a square. Ken added a dollop of crème fraiche to the top of each. They went into the oven for about ten minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.

A finished stuffed galette Bretonne, ready to eat!

We each ate two of these. They were followed by a salad of lettuce, endive, and beets in vinaigrette. Delicious! After lunch I made about ten dessert crêpes using the smaller crêpe pan, but I didn't take any photos. When they were done, we each garnished our own, some with strawberry jam, then others with butter, sugar, and armagnac (which I flambéed, whoosh!). All in all, we enjoyed a tasty and satisfying crêpe day.

10 comments:

  1. And, like all you guys do, a work of art when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! I'd like to see you in action flipping a crepe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did not know you can freeze the batter.....it works ok???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I read this well: you both had 2 savoury crêpes and 5 sweet ones each?! I guess it took a long walk with Callie to burn all those calories ;). But then again, who could resist something looking so good and tasty?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love galettes! Sometimes I buy ready made galettes from the supermarket but I'd like to make them from scratch. Is the recipe the same but for buckwheat flour not ordinary flour?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean, as I understand it there is no milk in galettes bretonnes, just buckwheat flour, salt, eggs, water and melted butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, we only show you the pretty stuff...

    judy, it's an annual treat! We should make them more often.

    anne marie, ha! I'll have to get Ken to take a movie.

    melinda, I don't really know, but I'll find out soon! (but I don't see why not)

    martine, well, 2 savory each. I won't tell you how the others were divided... ;)

    evelyn, yum!

    christine, :)

    jean, more or less the same. I did put milk in both kinds; that's what my recipe said to do. The buckwheat have some regular flour in them (less than half the amount of buckwheat). The sweet ones can have some alcohol, like rum or kirsch, in the batter for flavor.

    chm, the recipe I used for the sarrasin crêpes included milk and water. I ended up adding a lot more water because the batter was much too thick, but I don't think it was because of the milk. Just too much flour.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!