Friday, January 08, 2016

Friday fifties

Here is a winter scene from this past week. Doesn't look very wintry, does it? But it's what winter looks like around here most of the time. We've had snow in years past, but it never really amounts to much and it doesn't last long. In one exceptional year we got close to a foot of snow and it stayed on the the ground for more than a week. Otherwise, when we get snow, it's between a dusting and maybe an inch or two, and it melts away quickly.

Vineyards in winter, 50mm, f/8.0, 1/125s, ISO 500.

For today's lunch Ken's making chicken Kiev. I don't think I've ever had it and I know Ken hasn't eaten it in decades. We saw Jamie Oliver make it on television and thought it looked good. It's one of those dishes that was in fashion back in the seventies but has pretty much gone away. If it works out, there might be photos. Even if it doesn't work out, there might be photos.

A reminder: Friday fifties refers to photos taken with my 50mm prime (fixed) lens. It's an exercise to get myself to use it more and to rely less on the zoom lens.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think it's gone out of fashion in the UK, although people don't make it themselves, nor would they serve it at a dinner party these days. It's now entered the everyday, as a popular supermarket ready meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken Kiev and I'm confident Ken's will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken Kiev can be found on almost every pub menu in Australia, and pre-prepared for sale in supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. susan, Jamie did, in fact, say that Kiev's were available as prepared supermarket meals.

    mitch & jacqueline, it was pretty darned good!

    gosia, warm!

    andrew, it's not something I've seen much in the US, nor here in France. They have cordon bleu, of course, but that's considered more of a kid's meal these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other pub staple is Chicken Parmigiana. Veal cordon bleu was fashionable for a time, but I doubt much veal is now used. Cordon bleu from the supermarket is pretty awful.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!