Saturday, December 05, 2015

What's on tv

Not only is Angelina Jolie doing something-or-other that's coming out in theaters this week, but one of her movies is also on television. Most of the news programs are still processing the terrorist attacks in Paris and there's a lot of news coming out of the climate conference that continues through the coming week. And there's an interview with Jean Dujardin.

Angelina Jolie: One woman's battles.

What NOT to watch this week. Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means "à zapper" (change the channel!). The editors often include comments about the movie that make me laugh.

I'm not sure I've ever seen "American Pie," let alone its collection of direct-to-DVD spinoffs including this one. Its original title is "Band Camp." This is one of those instances where the French change the English title to another English title. I suppose "Band Camp" has no meaning to French people, but "No Limit" is a somewhat more familiar phrase. By the way, the word navet (turnip) is often used to describe a very bad movie.

American Pie présente : No Limit ! (American Pie presents: No Limit!). American made-for-tv movie directed by Steve Rash, 2005.
With Tad Hilgenbrink and Arielle Kebbel.
A student is required to spend his summer at band camp. He tries to make compromising films with the band members.
It would be difficult to make a more bogged down, less funny movie than this turnip.
For adults and kids over 10.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I was looking at Angelina Jolie's face, and then spied "Today's lunch, spaghetti and meatballs" and that REALLY got my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now think of you when Someone wonders out loud 'what's on TV". I used to reply "Looks like a penguin" but now I scurry over to your blog and find out what is the a zapper de jour. This always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. judy, and it was oh so good, too!

    michael, penguins look better than some of these turnips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love turnips... but probably not this one.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!