Saturday, August 15, 2015

What's on tv

It's a cover with almost all the stories about French television/personalities. They still couldn't resist one tiny American reference: Lee Majors.

Sheila, an icon of French pop music from the sixties, may still feel 40, but she turns 70 this week.

What NOT to watch this week. Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means "à zapper" (change the channel!). The editors often include comments about the movie that make me laugh.

Daysaster? I have no words.

Independence Daysaster. Canadian made-for-tv movie. Directed by WD Hogan, 2013.
With Ryan Merriman and Emily Holmes.
On the USA's national holiday, Earth is attacked by space aliens. A firefighter and a scientist attempt to counter the invasion.
A threadbare script, direction that's all over the map, all helped along by bad actors. Indigestible.
For adults and children over 10.

7 comments:

  1. At least they told how they really felt. Daysaster.... looks like a word I'd inventer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolie petite Sheila, jolie petite Sheila , c'est toi qui as pris ……….
    Used to listen to her in the early 70's or late 60's and have wasted a lot of my weekly allowance on the magazines about the singers and their latest songs - those were the days !
    I guess she must still be 40 since she does look good in that picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated, in a mouse-watching-snake kind of way, by the remarkably bad films that French TV finds to put on the air. They all sound as if they should be in the so-bad-they're-good category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relish the a-zapper news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jaqueline, that's actually the name of the movie!

    t.b., of course, we never heard of Sheila in the US...

    emm, well, to be fair, I'm highlighting them. There are many, many films on French television, just like everywhere else.

    michael, I'm glad you enjoy it. Feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a bit of a relapse, the consequence of pushing myself yesterday. thank you for asking.

      Delete
  6. I guess there's a reason why I've never heard of any of the actors in the American "zappers."

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!