Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Les feuilles mortes

The autumn leaves are beginning to fall. Mais elles ne se remassent pas à la pelle, pas encore. It's way too early to start raking. I usually wait until most, if not all, of the leaves come down before I deal with them. Normally we move the big maple leaves out front onto the garden plots to keep weeds down over winter. Some of the linden tree leaves out back get used that way, too. The leaves that fall on the grass will get mowed into mulch.

Autumn leaves getting ready to drop.

On Tuesday, Ken had some errands to run, so I did not cut logs. I don't want to use the big chainsaw when I'm home alone. So instead, I worked on cutting down spent flower stalks and grinding them up for the compost pile. They're the tall yellow sunflowers I posted about recently, and we have two patches of them. When the flowers fade, they don't look so nice, so I cut them off at about a foot high. They're very invasive and in one place had started to grow into our pathways, so I pulled as many of them as I could, along with their webby roots. Into the chipper they went, then onto the compost pile.

6 comments:

  1. Oh ! je voudrais tant que tu te souviennes
    Des jours heureux où nous étions amis.
    En ce temps-là la vie était plus belle,
    Et le soleil plus brûlant qu'aujourd'hui.
    Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle.
    Tu vois, je n'ai pas oublié...
    Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle,
    Les souvenirs et les regrets aussi
    Et le vent du nord les emporte
    Dans la nuit froide de l'oubli.
    Tu vois, je n'ai pas oublié
    La chanson que tu me chantais.

    {Refrain:}
    C'est une chanson qui nous ressemble.
    Toi, tu m'aimais et je t'aimais
    Et nous vivions tous deux ensemble,
    Toi qui m'aimais, moi qui t'aimais.
    Mais la vie sépare ceux qui s'aiment,
    Tout doucement, sans faire de bruit
    Et la mer efface sur le sable
    Les pas des amants désunis.

    Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle,
    Les souvenirs et les regrets aussi
    Mais mon amour silencieux et fidèle
    Sourit toujours et remercie la vie.
    Je t'aimais tant, tu étais si jolie.
    Comment veux-tu que je t'oublie ?
    En ce temps-là, la vie était plus belle
    Et le soleil plus brûlant qu'aujourd'hui.
    Tu étais ma plus douce amie
    Mais je n'ai que faire des regrets
    Et la chanson que tu chantais,
    Toujours, toujours je l'entendrai !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to say whether Montand, Patachou, or Gréco did a better rendition. I'm partial to Patachou's voice and style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cora Vaucaire's version. After all, the song was composed for her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart thought to not use the chainsaw when you're home alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Judy, I'm glad you don't use the chainsaw when Ken's not around. And about that wood chipper... Those things scare me. Too many horror films, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!