Thursday, September 18, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I'm starting to run low on old photos for this weekly meme. At least on photos that I'm willing to post here. For today, here's one from 1961. I was close to being two years old. It's a studio portrait, but in black and white, although color photography did exist by then. Maybe my parents were nostalgic for the good old days, you know, before Dorothy landed in Oz. At least it's a photo; I would never have been able to hold that pose for a painter.

Baby's first bow-tie. And suspenders.

If I remember correctly, the large framed (yes, really) version of this photo was colorized. Before Ted Turner did it to movies, they used to do it to photographs. I don't know where that version is, but it must be somewhere. This one is wallet-sized. I suppose that now-a-days not many people carry actual paper photos in their wallets. All the pictures they could want can be stored on their mobile phones.

9 comments:

  1. You WERE so cute!

    Colorizing photos began with photography. I gave to the museum family daguerréotypes dating back to the 1840s that were colorized. Nihil novi sub sole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @chm - correction, he IS so cute! even now!

    colorized photos, and colorized movies, are wrong. always. black & white exists for a reason. yes, I am a purist. sue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie: I agree with you up to a point. The daguerréotype of my grandmother was hand painted and is quite a piece of art. In the late 1920s, I remember seeing Ben-Hur with Ramon Novarro and that a part of this silent movie [I don't remember which part] was colorized. It was amazing for the time. I'm not going to sue you!

      Delete
    2. MWAH! the colorized photos I have seen have been poorly done; this is why I am such a purist. if your granny's photo was painted by a professional, then it is a true work of art.

      Delete
  3. Back in the 40's and 50's they sold coloring kits and you could "enhance" your photos yourself. My mother got ahold of one of those kits back in the day and made a mess of some of our prized old family photos. No one told you it took skill to use those kits. lolz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming! What a doll you were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've said before Walt, you were one of the lucky ones . . . . born cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just look at that cheeky little face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The expression on your little face hints at the sense of humour that you have today!
    I have a b&w photo of myself with a hint of pink coloured on the cheeks and the eyes coloured blue, which is wrong because my eyes are a sludgy greenish-grey. I think they just gave all kids blue eyes in those days.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!