Saturday, July 05, 2014

Amber waves of grain

No, not America. France. The wheat and other farmed grasses around us are looking to be very close to harvest time. In fact, I have seen hay bales popping up here and there already. On Friday we drove to a restaurant about a half-hour from home and passed many a golden wheat field.

I'm not at all sure this is wheat. It doesn't look like the wheat fields I saw on Friday.

This field is just outside the town of Varennes-sur-Fouzon where we had lunch last weekend. I took the picture during my morning walk with Callie at around 7:30 in the morning.

7 comments:

  1. Definitely it's wheat. And the harvest time is close

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another year of mostly wheat around here. I was hoping for lots of sunflowers, but so far I've only seen a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but no purple mountains majesty in the background. nor fruited plain either.

    wheat to make bread and other treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could your picture be of barley (orge) (Sorrry , my keyboard does not like question marks
    You obviously have a good eye, and see a lot of wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walt, if the blueness in the remaining green leaves is true, it could....
    because of the overall unevenness of the height....
    be "petit épeautre"... small grain spelt.
    It has a shorter spike than barley...
    or the true spelt which looks like a very tall, two-row, blue-green barley.

    In the Creuse valley they have started harvesting the wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like wheat to me, with Italian Rye grass growing amongst it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!