Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I know I shouldn't complain

Spring has sprung, but someone forgot to tell Jack Frost. He's left his calling card on the grass this morning. If he tries to nip at my nose, well, I'll have a few choice words ready. In the meantime, here are some cowslips that popped up in the back yard.

At least, I think they're cowslips. They're called coucous in French.

It could be much worse, of course. When the sun is out (which it has been for the past couple of days), the temperature warms up by noon to be quite pleasant, although you wouldn't call it "warm." These morning frosts are expected to continue to the weekend until a warmer rain system moves in.

11 comments:

  1. They are in the general vicinity of cowslips. They are either a mutant cowslip with quite a lot of red, or more likely a hybrid with some garden primulas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are more like a hybrid "Oxlip" with that much petal area...
    crossed from your primulas and the wild Cowslips.
    Wonderful, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt,

    Spring is making a delayed appearance here also. We're ten degrees below normal. I would like to see a photo of you taking this photo. :)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very cold here also. Lewis is busy down by the creek cutting up a white oak that fell, I'm helping him bring the logs he splits. Wish we could send you some of our wood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'est un hybride entre primevère sauvage (primevère officinale ou coucou des bois) et primevère de jardin. Il est très joli.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I shouldn't complain
    Is always a phrase spoken by people who are just about to x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They don't look like cows lips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. susan, I suspect you (and tim and olivier) are right, since there are plenty of both around.

    tim, yup. Funny, I always think of "cow slips" rather than "cow's lips." ;)

    ron, but spring is always welcome when it comes. BTW, I wasn't lying on the ground or anything, the camera has a screen that swivels so you can see what you're doing at strange angles.

    evelyn, ooh, wouldn't that be nice!

    judy, ain't it grand? :)

    olivier, je crois que vous avez raison.

    john, and don't I know it!

    starman, my sentiments exactly. ;)


    ReplyDelete
  9. And you got down on your belly in the cold to take this lovely shot. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm... Couscous is delicious. Um... I thought it was a grain.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!