Saturday, March 23, 2013

Free at last

The Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, DC, is an icon. It is the site of many a demonstration and speech, perhaps the most famous being Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech in 1963.

Looking west. You can see Rosslyn, Virginia, beyond the Lincoln Memorial, across the Potomac River. See the little stars in the foreground on the bottom?

If you look closely, you can just barely make out the statue of Abraham Lincoln inside the building. I'm putting two photos up because I like them both. I was standing at the opposite end of the Reflecting Pool on the site of the WWII memorial when I took these shots.

This shot includes the steps that lead up to the memorial. I like the little rainbow on the right.

So that's it for the little retrospective from October, 2006. Tomorrow we'll be back in real time, back in France, still waiting for spring to assert itself.

8 comments:

  1. Two more incredible photos.
    The only thing with these iconic landmarks is that they're always crowded, making it hard to get a photo sans throngs of tourists.
    I was in Rosslyn last year, but didn't take any photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first photo, I love how you turned the tables and got a photo of the Secret Service agent who was documenting your visit to the nation's capital. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the rainbow is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "See the little stars in the foreground on the bottom?" Yeah...????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Je trouve que ce grand bâtiment, avec tous ces gens qui entrent sortent, et s'installent sur les marches, dégage une aura particulière, très forte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. virginiac, I understand. That's when you have to get creative and use the crowds as part of the image.

    anne marie, just seems to fit!

    dean, yes, he is no longer a secret agent.

    judy, :)

    evelyn, one of those happy accidents!

    starman, I was just pointing them out. I thought it was cool.

    olivier, est-ce que vous avez déjà visité les USA et la capitale ?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!