Monday, December 10, 2012

No stockings this year

In the past I've hung our Christmas stockings from the ledge of the fireplace. But not this year. Instead I found these neat candle glasses or votives. I don't really know what they're called in English, but in French they're called photophores. I like the colors. And, while they look round in this photo, they're actually square.

Two metal reindeer and a fat Santa. We're decorated.

So there will be no stockings for us this year. No matter. Santa can't squeeze down the stove pipe that goes up the chimney and our stockings never get filled up. At any rate, he's got better things to do than to visit us. We will, however, be waiting for Puppy Claus. He likes to visit all the houses where good dogs live and he leaves little treats for them. I tell Callie every year that Puppy Claus is coming to town. She couldn't care less.

11 comments:

  1. Don't know what they're called in English either! We just literally translaterd the Dutch word "theelichtjes" which means 'tea lights' so that's what they're called in our house :-)
    They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your traditional decorations. We'd call them tealights (in tealight holders) but in the shops they're called votives. Either way they look nice and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the fireplace; the curves and the bricks look very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooh the fire in the wood burner looks great, and the decorations do, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those votives... and your reindeer... and that fireplace and stove! I don't know how we'll decorate for Christmas this year. Whatever it is will have to be of no interest to the cats -- and I haven't found anything yet that's of no interest to these two cats! I really am in love with those votives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The votives are quite festive, and they look pretty on the fireplace.
    Make sure that PuppyClaus does not forget Callie, especially since you have not put her stocking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear me
    I don't know how many presents you can stuff into those votives; and it would all catch on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bertie... have you tried that challenge yet... sooo inviting to walk among the decorations once the night-lights in those holders go out... can you do it without knocking the reindeer over... go on, have a go... you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes. Tea lights. That's what we call the candles. I guess the glass holders are votives. Not sure. At the store they're called verrines pour photophores (glasses for tea lights).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very frenchy fireplace surround - of course, that's to be expected in Saint Aignan!
    I want one with curves like yours. The colors from the glow of the logs and those from the verrines pour photophores (I was thinking the last word translation was something like photographers who have a passion for photos!) are the same looking at my monitor.
    Mitchell - the feline population must really look forward to our holiday decorations - right!? Bertie - STAY AWAY FROM THE candles!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!