Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Piquets givrés (frosty posts)

I can tell that spring is coming. Not because of the weather, but because the vineyard is getting all cleaned up. The scruffy old growth is being pruned away and the rows of vines are looking all neat and tidy. Old posts are being pulled and replaced with brand new ones. The spent posts are piled up at the ends of the rows to be picked up later.

Monday's frost settled on the grass and the vineyard posts.

I imagine that the posts, along with dead vine trunks, will be burned in one of the vineyard workers' fireplace before long. It's one of the fringe benefits of working in a vineyard. We get some of the dead vine trunks because Callie likes to carry them home from her walks. We also got permission one year to gather some when they're piled out there, so we have a bunch out behind the garden shed. They burn well in the barbecue.

8 comments:

  1. I bet they make very good firewood. Have Callie bring home more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that photo looks more like our weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many bottles of La Renaudie wine did these posts drink to be that "givrés?"

    V3erification word is purew. Is Google trying to tell me it was just pure water?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's picture and yesterdays make me feel cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to Spring too. I just keep looking at all of the kid's coats/hats/gloves/scarves and can't wait for the day that I pack them away.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a breathtaking photo. But, it's 70 degrees here and reading your blog requires me to put on a sweater -- because when it took my breath away I could SEE it go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very ready for spring here in Boston. I'm tired of winter. Its been a cold, snowy month+ here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. rick, she brings one back from nearly every walk. Got a huge pile of them last year.

    judy, but there's no snow...

    chm, hahahaha!

    kristi, it was cold, but just freezing.

    mark, I want to put mine away, too.

    mitch, :)

    bosguy, of course, a trip to Puerto Rico takes the edge off.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!