Thursday, June 19, 2008

More From Chassiron

Here are a few close-ups from the around the lighthouse at Chassiron. The first is a shot of the lens.

The lens sits inside a protective glass housing.

The light itself was electrified in 1930. From what I can tell, the first light was powered with vegetable oil in 1836 -- how's that for being green before your time. Around 1873 that fuel was replaced by mineral oil, followed by oil-gas* in 1895 and acetylene gas in 1902.

Some smaller lights to help you find your way.

There were also several different lenses used at Chassiron. The current lens has eight panels, a 1500 watt halogen lamp, and can be seen from a distance of twenty-eight nautical miles.

And just in case you're lost...
It says, "The edge of the world."


The current lighthouse is the second to operate in this location. The original light, built in 1685, was a twenty-seven meter tall stone tower with an open-air charcoal fire lit at the top.

I found this information on the French Ministry of Culture web site.

*I don't know what oil-gas is. The French site calls it gaz d'huile.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some incredible pictures!

    Walt, where are you from originally in the States? Is it a seaside area?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked around for oil gas/gaz d'huile myself and came up with the same translation as you. It seems it was adopted because it would burn for weeks on end, which would lend to lower maintenance. On ne sait jamais.

    http://www.culture.gouv.fr/documentation/memoire/VISITES/phares/phares_tetes.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.culture.gouv.fr/documentation/memoire/VISITES/phares/phares_tetes.htm

    I'm not sure why the whole site didn't get pasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. judy, I'm from upstate New York. My hometown has a seaport, but I wouldn't call it seaside...

    rachael, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from upstate New York, too! Rochester is my home town.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!