Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Stop The Presses

I took a bunch of sepia photos on Tuesday when some snow squalls were going through. I posted a few this morning, but I didn't like the way they looked on the blue background. They were very brown. I've since traded them out for these.

Our house seen from the vineyard.

The dirt road becomes a mud road when it rains.

The paved "route touristique" winds through neighboring vineyards.

I think these work better because they have more bright sky in them to counter the brown. What do you think? I may re-post the others as black & white photos. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. It's an interesting concept. Does your Lumix have a sepia feature? You can dim the blue of the sky with Photoshop until it doesn't clash anymore with the brown. Now that everything is in bright color, and sometimes too bright, it is somewhat refreshing to go back in time when people were using the sun to print their own photos, just like my father used to do.
    I sure like your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black and white pictures. Of course we did not have colour when I was young. I love black and white movies too. It's more dramatic and truthful. An example: mud is really mud on your dirt road. No camouflage. Don't you hate it when they put make-up on Humphrey Bogart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos, sepia or not!
    Just when we thought it was spring, winter is back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chm, yes, the camera has a sepia setting. A little goes a long way...

    claudia, taking b&w is a skill. You need to remove the color in your brain and think of things as shades of light and dark only to compose your shots. It takes time to figure out for someone who's used to color photography.

    claude, I know! Now it's cold again!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!