Saturday, October 07, 2006

Beautiful Downtown Albany

Well, at least it's not Burbank... Ken and I did a little walk around Madison Avenue yesterday; our first bit our tourism while in town. Our primary destination was the cathedral; my pictures inside didn't turn out so well, but Ken may be posting some of his soon. Here's some of the stained glass:

Stained glass in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Of course, this scene caught my eye because it includes grape pickers. I don't know the significance of the scene for the catholics, though. Anyone?

A close up of the stained glass grapes.

We also went up into the observation deck of Corning Tower to get a look since it was a nice clear day. The tower is the tallest building in Albany, at about 45 floors and contains various state offices.

Corning Tower, named for the late longtime Albany mayor Erastus Corning.

The NY State capitol (red roofs), the Egg performing arts center on the bottom, and city hall on the right (with the bell tower). The design of the capitol was inspired by the Hotel de Ville in Paris.

Ken doing his photo thing on the observation deck.

The restored Delaware & Hudson Railroad building now serves at the State University of New York's administrative headquarters.

Today we plan to take advantage of a good weather forecast to go out to an apple orchard and do some other outdoor things. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to America, Walt! Albany looks good.

    When I see vineyards in a church, I think of the verse in John 15 which says, ""I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower." That guy in the turban doesn't resemble Jesus though, so I dunno...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui, oui, on stays tuned, lol ! On est impatient de découvrir tous les aspects de votre périple :-) Bises et bonnes vacances ! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelyn, that seems to make sense...

    Merci, Marie !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never seen the NY State Capitol! how ornate! I'll have to add a photo some day of Olympia's Capitol...it's so different!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!